There will always be those people who look down on you for reading say, Darren Shan. They sit there with their penguin classics and their books about serious grown up issues like love, rape and real life. Because your books aren't worth anything because they're about vampires, sci-fi and made-up stuff.
Not only are the books I read just as good (maybe even better as they're not half as boring) they can actually explore deep issues. Don't even get me started about Lord of The Rings. The more I read up on J R R Tolkein the more I realise his books actually are about a lot more than the story. The Shire for example (I think) is very much the place where Tolkein wanted to live - he hated industrialism. The whole story was about how far people would go (the hobbits) to protect their way of life.
I will continue to read fantasy and enjoy it and firmly believe it is good reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment