Thursday, 18 November 2010

French Tests

Today I have a French speaking test which I have in no way prepared for. It will be a very embarrasing experience, sat there for fifteen minutes being asked questions that I don't even understand let alone know the answer to. All week I have been thinking about sitting there going red mumbling french that doesn't even make sense whilst my caring teacher tries her best to get from me what I need for a good grade. She will one day (not today) realise I am no good at French. The silences are the worst.
I wonder, why do they teach languages so badly? This is my fifth year of doing French and yet when asked what did you do taday? I can only just about string a sentence together. If I had has lessons outside of school I would expect to be fluent by now. We don't even get taught grammar, just a multitude of phrases we are meant to be able to use, to minimise mistakes is the thinking behind it. No verb tables, nothing. I blame the system because by looking at my English I know that I am not actually bad at languages. Hopefully this year I can wing it and scrape a C or a B if I'm feeling good but I want the way languages are taught at school to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment